Meanwhile, poor bastards in Iraq are begging for things like socks, toothbrushes, and sunscreen. They are begging for bras, tampons, foot powder and lip balm.
Seriously. We are willing to pay big bucks to contractors to defend themselves from sexual assault charges, but we aren't willing to give our soldiers basic toiletries, pens, and stationary.
Not cool. In fact, I'm furious.
So here's what you and I can do on a basic level to make things a little more bareable for men and women in the feild.
Go to http://anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/
Things particularly in need:
* Personal letters from you.
* Army surplus boot socks.
* Gel body-washes
* School supplies and toys. Beanie Babies are extra good being small and hard to break
* paper, pens, pencils for the actual soldiers, tampons
*Varios kinds of underwear by unit.
* The special tee shirts that go well under body armour.
* Lip balm
* foot powder anti-fungal foot-spray
* insta soups
* Snack foods like doritos.
* Paper back books
* Microwave noodles.
* 220 volt adapters, and batteries.
* Prepaid telephone calling cards.
* hot sauce
* baby wipes
* canned tuna and cat food
* dental floss
* Powdered drink-mixes, especially 'propel' and 'gatoraide' for mixing with bottled water.
* Shaving cream
* PC games for lap tops
* nuts, seeds, granola bars, and dried fruits
* Unscented body-lotion that both men and women can use
* Sports bras
* Tampons and maxipads
Special thanks to il_volpe for helping me put this together.
I hate this war. I hate that my money is going towards it. I feel terrible that people being sent to fight it can't be supplied with the very basic necessities, but there's plenty of money disappearing into pockets of the rich.
These people need our help. They are living in a Hell made by our hands. Seriously. We sent them to the desert without sunscreen.